Monday, April 2, 2012

Green beans 2011 and the story of the wet spring



Last year we had a record wet spring. It was so wet, in fact, that the beans I planted just rotted in the ground. I ended up replanting over 250 row feet of green beans! I'm so thankful I did, as we had a bountiful bean crop beginning the end of July and running all through August and into mid September. I picked green beans every 3-4 days and got an average of a grocery sack every time.

Beans, with a grasshopper "trap" filled with Semispore


They were a big hit at the farmer's market, bringing up to $6 per pound. My family loved them sauteed in butter with garlic salt. We ended up making pickled dilly beans for Christmas gifts, and a bunch were blanched and put in the freezer. It was a great year for beans and I hope it will continue!

If our record driest March EVER is the pace for this year, I worry about the garden, as this is completely different than last year. But at least I won't have to worry about beans rotting in the ground! And I know who sends the rain, and HE is faithful!


Deuteronomy 11:13-15
 13And it shall come to pass, if ye shall hearken diligently unto my commandments which I command you this day, to love the LORD your God, and to serve him with all your heart and with all your soul,
 14That I will give you the rain of your land in his due season, the first rain and the latter rain, that thou mayest gather in thy corn, and thy wine, and thine oil.
 15And I will send grass in thy fields for thy cattle, that thou mayest eat and be full.






Related Posts 

2012 Garden, Part oneWinter Farmer's Market
2011 Garden Overview

2011 Spring Garden
and over at Raising Homemakers:
Teaching Children to Garden, soil amending




________________________________________________

Last week, record warmth means picnics in March!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I always wonder if my words are encouraging to you, so please leave a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...