Thursday, March 28, 2013

Frugal Tip: Make Cheese!


We recently started getting milk from a local dairy. It is WONDERFUL stuff. :) Some friends of mine and I have been talking a lot about making cheese... and the other day when I was delivering eggs to them, they told me they had gotten some rennet tablets and citric acid from a cheese supply. We did a little swapping for eggs, and I was ready to roll.

I found the instructions on this website. They are great instructions and very easy to follow. In no time I was stretching my mozzarella! I added a quart of cream to the milk to make for richer cheese, and the mozz was almost TOO creamy. I think next time I will skim off the cream before making mozz.



After the mozzarella was done, I made ricotta from the whey. I think next time I would add the cream back in at this step, and get a better yield. You can find the ricotta from whey instructions here. One gallon of whole milk, plus one quart of cream turned out a little more than a pound of mozzarella, and 14 oz. of ricotta. So then I made bread, and turned that cheese into the best lasagna ever.



Even the chickens ate well, after the last of the whey was poured over their pellets. I let it soak in overnight and they loved their morning mash! (so did Fluffy the cat!)


Linked:
Frugal Family 2013 

The Chicken Chick

©2012-2013 Loving and Learning on the High Plains. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://www.homeschoolhighplains.blogspot.com

4 comments:

  1. Wow, amazing uses of EVERY aspect of the milk. I love it!

    Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop. I hope you'll join us again!

    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete

I always wonder if my words are encouraging to you, so please leave a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...