Monday, February 18, 2013

Fondant You Will Actually Eat

We've all been there, the birthday/graduation/wedding where the cake was SO beautiful... but to eat it you had to scrape off the disgusting fondant?



Well, no more! I tried out a fondant recipe I found on Allrecipes... and since I didn't have everything, I did a little subbing. And it turned out YUMMY! I was super glad some was left as I rolled it into little balls and ate it like candy. I kid you not. :) You want to know, don't you?

Original recipe makes 1 - 10 x 4 inch high cake (enough to cover)

 1 (.25 ounce) package unflavored gelatin, or if you buy in bulk, 1 1/2 tsp. (7.5ml)
 3 Tbs. cold water
 1/2 cup corn syrup
 1 tablespoon glycerin* (see note)
 2 tablespoons coconut oil (the good stuff, I use all organic)
 8 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (as needed, not all at once)

  • Combine gelatin and cold water; let stand until thick. Place gelatin mixture in top of double boiler and heat until dissolved.
  • Add corn syrup and glycerin, mix well. Remove from heat and stir in coconut oil. Mixture should cool until lukewarm.
  • Place 4 cups confectioners' sugar in a large bowl. Make a well in the center and using a wooden spoon, stir in the lukewarm gelatin mixture. Mix in sugar and add more a little at a time, until stickiness disappears. 
  • Knead on a surface that has been sprinkled with powdered sugar until the fondant is smooth, pliable and does not stick to your hands. It may be easier to work on sprinkled wax paper. If fondant is too soft, add more sugar; if too stiff, add water (a drop at a time). 
  • Use fondant immediately or store in airtight container in fridge. When ready to use, bring to room temperature and knead again until soft.
*NOTE: I used Humco Glycerin USP 6 oz , which is sold in the pharmacy or at the above link on Amazon. It is edible and totally food grade, made from vegetables. I called the number on the bottle... the lady was very sweet and said she answers this question 100's of times a day. So I'm saving her another call by telling you. 



After covering Mayda's Hello Kitty Cake, we still had enough left over to cover about 2 dozen cupcakes with cat faces. I used a layer of regular frosting for the crumb coat on all the cakes, and then the fondant lay smoothly right over. 


Linked:


and Amazon Affiliates

2 comments:

  1. This looks SO good! :-) My oldest son saw this and can't wait to make it! :-) Thanks so much for linking up with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday!" I hope you will be able to join us again this week. Many blessings, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting! I hope yours turned out well!

      Delete

I always wonder if my words are encouraging to you, so please leave a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...