Monday, January 7, 2013

Dairy Free: Ham and Potato Chowder


Ham and Potato "Chowder" (Dairy Free)

I love winter for all the soups and stews it affords, but chowders are my favorite. Unfortunately, several in my family are intolerant to dairy. They usually suffer through my obsession with milk and cheese, but this was my attempt to make something a bit kinder. I had some leftover ham from Christmas, and I wanted to make my favorite ham and potato chowder, but this time without the dairy...

You'll need:

  • 1/4 cup oil
  • 1/3 cup flour
  • 1 quart frozen home-grown sweet corn (or two cans creamed corn)
  • 4 cups chicken stock (divided)
  • 2 cups diced ham
  • 6-7 medium potatoes (peeled and diced)
  • dried parsley
  • dehydrated onion (or one small onion diced)
  • salt and pepper to taste
In a large stock pot add the diced potatoes to boiling water and cook until tender and then drain. Meanwhile, in a large dutch oven or heavy pot, heat oil over medium high heat and then add flour and cook until you have a nutty colored roux. Don't over cook! Have corn and chicken stock ready to add immediately, so when it gets to that peanut butter color you can add them. Add corn and 2 cups chicken stock to the roux, and return to a boil. Add seasonings and onion at this time as well. Once it boils it will thicken, then add the rest of the chicken stock and the ham. You can also add the cooked diced potatoes at this time. Return to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Enjoy!




Today I'm joining a blog hop over at:



I hope you get over to see all the fun recipes!




1 comment:

  1. This is wonderful! My mom and one of my children have problems with dairy, so I know I will be adding this to my to-make list! :-) Thanks so much for sharing with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday!" I hope you will be able to join us again this week. Many blessings, Lisa

    ReplyDelete

I always wonder if my words are encouraging to you, so please leave a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...